Please read through these listings carefully so you understand the position you are applying for. Most positions require a weekly commitment for an entire semester; for one-time or group opportunities, scroll to the bottom of this page.
Our literacy programs serve adults, so we are only able to accept adults (18+) as volunteers. We also require our volunteer tutors to:
- Be reliable, patient, and kind
- Speak, read, and write English fluently (all ESL tutoring is done in English.)
- Have regular access to email and the internet
- Watch our orientation video and attend training before tutoring
- Reliably get themselves to their tutoring site *on time* every week
- Attend their assigned 2-hr tutoring session every week for an entire semester, with no more than two absences (excluding holidays)
Every semester we have over 200 active volunteer tutors who are meeting every week with an adult needing their help. You could be one of them! Our three semesters are:
- Spring: January-May
- Summer: May-August
- Fall: September-December
If you have questions about volunteering or our application process that are not addressed on this page, please contact our Director of Volunteer Services, Ms. Shawn Steen at (608) 244-3911.