PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY so you understand the volunteer position you are applying for. If you have questions please call Shawn at (608) 244-3911 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our literacy programs serve adults, so we are only able to accept adults (18+) as volunteers. We also require our volunteer tutors to:
- Be reliable, patient, and kind
- Speak, read, and write English fluently (all ESL tutoring is done in English.)
- Have regular access to email and the internet
- Watch our orientation video and attend training before tutoring
- Reliably get themselves to their tutoring site *on time* every week
- Commit to attending every week for an entire semester, with no more than two absences (excluding holidays)
Still remember your high school algebra and history? We are looking for kind, patient academic tutors who can support adult GED students at Madison College's South Campus this fall. Develop your teaching skills while helping a local adult improve their education and chance at a better life! Our GED tutors provide one-on-one and small group tutoring to GED students for an hour of homework help before class with support of the program coordinator, then the first hour of the class under direction of the Madison College instructor. Training and support are provided.
- We meet Wednesday nights, 4:30-6:30pm at Madison College South Campus (2238 S Park St) Aug 30-Dec 13
- GED Tutor Training is 6:00-8:00pm Tuesday, August 29
- Comfortable helping someone with the following high school level academic topics (materials and support will be provided): algebra, geometry, probability and statistics, reading comprehension, essay composition, social studies, science, and civics.
- Able to share effective study and test-taking strategies.
- Mature, dependable, patient, and kind.
- Non-judgmental and interculturally sensitive.
Completing an application does not guarantee you a spot in our program; your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted within a few weeks. Thank you for applying to tutor with Literacy Network!
Please complete all required fields.