Application: Basic Literacy Tutoring: SCALE
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY so you understand the volunteer position you are applying for. If you have questions please call Shawn at (608) 244-3911.
Our literacy programs serve adults, so we are only able to accept adults (18+) as volunteers. We also require our volunteer tutors to:
- Be reliable, patient, and kind
- Speak, read, and write English fluently (all ESL tutoring is done in English.)
- Attend orientation and training before tutoring
- Reliably get themselves to their tutoring site *on time* every week
- Commit to tutoring in one weekly 2-hour session for an entire semester (excluding holidays)
The Skills in Computers & Literacy for Employment (SCALE) program is a Adult Basic Literacy (ABE) program in which you sign up to tutor in a weekly 2-hour class for one semester, and the classes are focused on teaching basic computer and literacy skills (vocabulary, spelling, using email, filling out online forms, or basic Word/Excel formatting). Each class is made up of 8 tutor/student pairs, and we will try to match you with the same student the entire semester. Lesson plans are given to you at the beginning of class every week by the intern overseeing your class, who knows the learning level and personal goals of each of the students. The intern is also there to help you and your student if you have questions or get stuck! You don't need tutoring or teaching experience -just comfortable knowledge of basic computer practices, patience, kindness, and the ability to attend your class every week.
You can apply for any semester listed below; if a semester is full, you will be added to the wait list:
SPRING 2018 (Jan 22-May 12)
SUMMER 2018 (June 4-Aug 25)
Training: 6-8pm Tue May 29
FALL 2018 (Sep 17-Dec15)
Training: 6-8pm Tue Sept 11
All new tutors accepted into this program are required to attend the scheduled Training session at Literacy Network before the semester begins. Training is held at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street).
Volunteers tutor during the following sessions (classes); some sessions are located far from downtown and reliable transportation is required. Weekly attendance is also required for the full semester; if you anticipate missing more than 2 sessions you do not qualify for this program. If a session for the semester you're applying is full, you will be added to the waiting list.
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Hawthorne Library (2707 E. Washington Ave.)
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Seven Oaks (1108 Moorland Rd)
- Wednesday mornings, 10:30am-12:30pm at Goodman South Library (2222 S. Park St.)
- Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane St)
- SPOTS STILL AVAILABLE Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Meadowridge Library (5726 Raymond Rd)
FIELDS WITH BLUE HEADINGS ARE REQUIRED. Demographic information is required but does not affect your qualification as a volunteer; we are merely required to provide (anonymous) demographic information of our volunteers to our funding agencies.
Completing an application does not guarantee you a spot in our program; your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted within a week or two. Thank you for applying to tutor with Literacy Network!
Please complete all required fields.