Application: Basic Literacy Tutoring: SCALE
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY so you understand the volunteer position you are applying for. If you have questions please call Shawn at (608) 244-3911.
Our literacy programs serve adults, so we are only able to accept adults (18+) as volunteers. We also require our volunteer tutors to:
- Be reliable, patient, and kind
- Speak, read, and write English fluently (all ESL tutoring is done in English.)
- Attend orientation and training before tutoring
- Reliably get themselves to their tutoring site *on time* every week
- Commit to tutoring in one weekly 2-hour session for an entire semester (excluding holidays)
The Skills in Computers & Literacy for Employment (SCALE) program provides one-to-one tutoring for adults with low literacy skills, using the computer as a learning tool. (This is not an ESL program.) During class, each tutor helps their assigned learner build basic reading, writing, and computer literacy skills. No experience needed! Tutor training is provided, as are weekly, customized lesson plans.
|SPRING 2017 (Jan 23-May 12)
**ALL SPOTS FULL**
|SUMMER 2017 (June 5-Aug 18)
Training: 6-8pm Thu June 1
|FALL 2017 (Sep 18-Dec 15)
Training: 6-8pm Thu Sept 14
All new tutors accepted into this program are required to attend the scheduled Training session at Literacy Network before the semester begins. Training is held at Literacy Network (1118 S. Park Street).
Volunteers tutor during the following sessions (classes); some sessions are located far from downtown and reliable transportation is required. Weekly attendance is also required for the full semester; if you anticipate missing more than 2 sessions you do not qualify for this program. If a session for the semester you're applying is full, you will be added to the waiting list.
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Hawthorne Library (2707 E. Washington Ave.)
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Seven Oaks (1108 Moorland Rd)
- Wednesday mornings, 10:30am-12:30pm at Goodman South Library (2222 S. Park St.)
- Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane St)
- Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Meadowridge Library (5726 Raymond Rd)
FIELDS WITH BLUE HEADINGS ARE REQUIRED. Demographic information is required but does not affect your qualification as a volunteer; we are merely required to provide (anonymous) demographic information of our volunteers to our funding agencies.
Completing an application does not guarantee you a spot in our program; your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted within a week or two. Thank you for applying to tutor with Literacy Network!
Please complete all required fields.