Application: ESL Tutoring: Community Literacy
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY so you understand the volunteer position you are applying for. If you have questions please call Shawn at (608) 244-3911 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our literacy programs serve adults, so we are only able to accept adults (18+) as volunteers. We also require our volunteer tutors to:
- Be reliable, patient, and kind
- Speak, read, and write English fluently (all ESL tutoring is done in English.)
- Have regular access to email and the internet
- Watch our orientation video and attend training before tutoring
- Reliably get themselves to their tutoring site *on time* every week
- Attend their assigned 2-hr tutoring session every week for an entire semester, with no more than two absences (excluding holidays)
Community Literacy is our ESL Tutoring program, in which you sign up to tutor in a weekly 2-hour class for one semester. Each class is made up of 8 tutor/student pairs, most of whom will be working together the entire semester. Lesson plans are given to you at the beginning of class every week by the intern overseeing your class, who knows the levels and personal goals of each of the students. (You can read more about our students here.) The intern is also there to help you and your student if you have questions or get stuck! You don't need tutoring or teaching experience -just patience, kindness, and the ability to attend your class every week. You also don't need to know any other languages, since all tutoring is done in English.
You can apply for any semester listed below; if a semester is full, you will be added to the wait list:
(Sep 18-Dec 16)
(Jan 22-May 12)
Training: (choose one)
5:30-8:00pm Tue 1/16
5:30-8:00pm Thu 1/18
or9:00-11:30am Sat 1/20
(June 4-Aug 25)
Training: (choose one)
5:30-8:00pm Tue 5/29
or 5:30-8:00pm Thu 5/31
or 9:00-11:30am Sat 6/2
- You must attend one scheduled Training session at Literacy Network before the semester begins; we do not offer alternative Training dates or one-on one Training.
- Reliable transportation is required of all tutors. (If you are planning to take a bus to/from your tutoring sessions, please research your route ahead of time to be sure you understand the commute you are committing to.)
- You must attend EVERY WEEK during the semester; no more than two absences is permitted. (Let your intern know any anticipated absences at the beginning of the semester.)
Volunteers tutor during the following group tutoring classes; if a class for the semester you're applying is full, you will be added to the waiting list. ALL FALL SEMESTER SESSIONS ARE FULL AT THIS TIME.
- Monday nights, 6-8pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
- Tuesday mornings 10am-12noon at Literacy Network (Focus on basic computer literacy: how to use Microsoft Office, email, internet)
- Tuesday nights, 6-8pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
- Tuesday nights, 6-8pm at Reach Dane (2096 Red Arrow Trail, Fitchburg)
- Wednesday mornings, 9-11am at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
- Wednesday nights, 6-8pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
- Thursday nights 6-8pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)(Focus on Workplace English; tutor must have bachelor's degree and experience in the workforce)
- Saturday mornings, 9-11am at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
Completing an application does not guarantee you a spot in our program; your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted within a few weeks. Thank you for applying to tutor with Literacy Network!
Please complete all required fields.