Citizenship Program Intern (spring semester)
Posted: 10/23/2017 11:47 AM Closes: 11/26/2017 11:59 PM
Salary Range: $500 stipend
Interested in teaching adults while gaining comprehensive knowledge of the citizenship process of the United States? Literacy Network's Citizenship Interns teach biweekly group classes that prepare immigrants and refugees for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) exam. Extensive training is provided, as well as ongoing support and all textbooks/materials, including pre-designated curricula to practice literacy skills in the 4 sections of the test: speaking (N400 interview), civics (100 questions), reading, and writing. We offer two internships each semester: spring (Jan-May), summer (June-Aug), and fall (Sep-Dec).
Commitment: 6-8 hrs weekly, spring Semester, January 12- May 6
Training: 3 hr training, week of Jan 12 (day/time flexible)
Biweekly class options: 1:00-2:30pm Mondays & Wednesdays, or 6:30-8pm Mondays & Wednesdays
- Spend 3-4hrs weekly at Literacy Network (during office hours) writing student-centered, balanced lesson plans for use in a beginner-high intermediate classroom setting
- Teach and manage your two weekly classes (arrange room, track attendance & student progress, make reminder phone calls)
- Offer a safe and supportive learning environment, through patience, maturity, and cultural sensitivity
- Attend training as well as regular check-ins with Program Manager
- Degree or certificate (completed or in progress) in ESL, EFL, Applied Linguistics, Bilingual Education, reading instruction and/or related field, or two semesters of Literacy Network's Community Literacy internship
- Knowledge of current second language acquisition theory and teaching methodology
- Experience working with adults of diverse cultural, social, economic, and linguistic backgrounds
- Strong collaborative, organizational, and communication skills; attention to detail, and flexibility
**NOTE** Payment for this internship is only available to those eligible to work in the US.
To apply for this spring semester internship, please submit a resume and cover letter to the address below or via web form before Monday, November 27.
701 Dane Street
Madison WI 53713